Assistant Vice President of Operations
Philadelphia Works, Inc. (PhilaWorks) seeks an experienced, dynamic professional to help advance the organization’s mission to drive economic opportunity throughout Pennsylvania’s southeast region. The Assistant Vice President of Operations will be responsible for the planning and direction of internal operations and achieving the operational goals of the organization. The person in this role will support the Chief Operating Officer in managing the strategic business initiatives and overseeing the efficient and effective operations of the communications, IT, and administrative functions of the departments. The Assistant Vice President of Operations will report to the COO and serve in a business unit leadership role in the absence of the Chief Operating Officer.
About Philadelphia Works
Philadelphia Works (PhilaWorks) is a 501c3 non-profit organization that invests in solutions and services to grow Philadelphia’s economy by connecting employers to workforce talent and career seekers to jobs. We influence the public policies that support economic growth and optimize funding and resources to invest in regional solutions to build a skilled and thriving workforce.
Background of A Highly Favorable Candidate:
A versatile operational thinker with advanced professional experience in project management, communications, and compliance/oversight. Ideal candidates will be inspired by mission-driven, community-engaged work with organizational experience in IT, communications, operations, and/or human resources.
- At least seven years of professional experience with a minimum of five years in a supervisory or leadership role, including relevant, progressive work experience in operations, IT, and/or communications.
- Collaborative management style that promotes a participatory style of administration, builds consensus, and provides leadership in a team environment.
- Strategic mindset and excellent leadership skills to pursue a shared vision, drive change and efficiencies, and manage staff
- Ability to train, motivate, and build a cohesive team
- Ability to build solid relationships that engender trust
- Ability to work closely with the COO as a “thought partner”
- Possess project management skills and/or principles
- Ability to drive projects across teams, amidst competing priorities
- Strong business acumen with the ability to diagnose and analyze problems and drive appropriate solutions
- Data-driven decision making
- Effective communication and listening skills
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent PC software skills, including Microsoft 365 suite of products, project management software
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of staff, stakeholders, subcontractors, vendors, and government agencies
- Develop, implement, manage, and evaluate strategic business plans, goals, and objectives for communications, IT, and supportive functions within the operations business unit and across the organization.
- Partner with the chief operating officer and directors to drive performance across the operations business unit and the organization.
- Ensure the highest customer service and efficiency level for department staff supporting internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsible for overseeing the development and management of departmental budgets for IT and Communications
Oversee the operations of the information technology department. This will include:
- Direct supervision of the IT director and responsibility for the IT team and contracted vendors and consultants
- Oversee the planning, development, implementation, maintenance, and security of the company’s information systems.
- Partnering with the IT director to develop and implement technology strategy for the organization and programmatic contracted providers.
- Continually assess the IT strategy and performance of contracted vendors to ensure the highest level of performance, security, and cost effectiveness and propose improvements, as appropriate.
- Evaluate results of overall technical operations regularly and systematically and report
results to the Executive Team.
Oversee the operations of the communications department; this will include:
- Direct supervision of the communications director and responsibility for the communications team and contracted vendors and consultants.
- Oversee the development, integration, and implementation of the communications strategy to broaden awareness of programs and priorities and ensure effective support of programmatic activities, including websites and social media.
- Continually assess the communications strategy and performance of contracted vendors to ensure the highest level of performance and propose improvements, as appropriate.
Oversee the operations of the administrative support department; this will include:
- Direct supervision of the Lead Project Manager and administrative support team.
- Oversee the development and implementation of best practices, procedures, and policies to ensure alignment with the strategy and achievement of project objectives.
- Ensure the highest efficiency level in project management support for programmatic
- Develop and oversee the project management tracking system to be presented to the executive team regularly.
Additional Operational Responsibilities
- Oversee grant writing and resource development activities, including managing consultants.
- Create and maintain positive working relationships to foster a culture and environment for cooperation and success.
- Collaborate with other units and departments to carry out the organization's goals and objectives.
- Identify, recommend, and implement new processes, technologies, and systems to improve and streamline organizational processes and use of resources and materials.
- Establish, communicate, and implement operations-related policies, practices, standards,
and security measures to ensure effective and consistent support and execution.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
$120,000-$140,000, with a competitive benefits package that includes paid time off, up to 85% employer-paid health, dental, and vision coverage; 100% employer paid short-term disability, long-term disability, life insurance, and $3000 in tuition assistance.
The Assistant Vice President of Operations will have several direct reports and report directly to the Chief Operating Officer of PhilaWorks.
Relevant Financial Information:
PhilaWorks is a Pennsylvania local workforce development board that plays a key role in the public workforce system. PA’s public workforce system is a network of state and local providers and programs that support local and regional economic development, and the education and training of Pennsylvania's workforce.
Service Area / Industry Information:
Philadelphia Works, Inc. develops and manages smart workforce solutions that respond to business needs and increase economic opportunity for all Philadelphia residents.
Philadelphia Works is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex (including sexual orientation, transgender status, and gender identity or expression), pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation, and related medical conditions), physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, sexual preference, political affiliation, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws, in all matters pertaining to recruitment, selection, compensation, training, advancement and promotion, retention, discipline, and termination.
Email your resume to Monica Wildes at [email protected] by 02/26/2024. This is the final date for applications. Confirmation of receipt of application will be sent by return email. Virtual screening with preferred candidates will be arranged forthwith. No phone calls, please.